Autumn 2002 / Looking Back
The Sound of Silence

Bugle honours a fallen soldier


Photo by Michael VisserThis bugle, blown by Lieut. A. Harold Goodman, 116th Batt. of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, was the first to call the Toronto University Canadian Officers Training Corps to arms. An inscription on the instrument states that Goodman “fell at Amiens, Aug. 8th 1918, while heroically leading his platoon against the Germans,” and that it was “presented by his parents of Wychwood Park, Toronto.” Goodman was a University College arts student from 1914 to 1916. “His violin, banjo and piano, which gave so much pleasure to his circle, are silent, and this intensifies our loss,” wrote Harold’s father on September 18, 1918, to Mr. Smith, editor of the University of Toronto Roll of Service. Now the bugle is on display at the Athletic Centre in the Faculty of Physical Education and Health, an oddity among the awards and memorabilia of field and arena heroes of 
the past.


Reader Comments

# 1
Posted by Scott Anderson on March 29th, 2009 @ 10:54 am

Michah Rynor’s article has exactly the right tone, and alumni may be interested to learn that the Faculty of Physical Education and Health has agreed to permanently loan the bugle to the Soldiers’ Tower Committee. We’re not sure how it came to be regarded as a piece of athletics memorabilia, but Soldiers’ Tower is a more appropriate repository for this artifact, and the U of T Alumni Association will ensure it is displayed effectively.

Paul Carson
BA 1967 St. Michael’s
Faculty of Physical Education and Health
University of Toronto

Add a Comment

required, use real name
required, Not for Publication
optional, eg: BSc 2008

Next story in this issue: »
Previous story in this issue: «