$1,000 prize for first-place winners
Entry deadline: Extended! June 2, 2017
Open to alumni and students of the University of Toronto.
Previously published authors are eligible to enter
Read the complete rules below
- U of T Magazine‘s Short Story and Poetry Contest is open to alumni and students of the University of Toronto. Anyone who has completed a minimum of four credits at U of T qualifies as an alum. Students are currently enrolled in a full- or part-time program at the university.
- We will consider original, unpublished poems of up to 50 lines and original, unpublished short stories of up to 2,500 words. Submissions must not have been accepted for publication elsewhere, or previously have won a prize in this contest. Each person may submit a maximum of one story and one poem.
- Entries do not need to relate to U of T.
Winning Entries – 2015
Winning Entries – 2013
Winning Entries – 2011
Winning Entries – 2009
Winning Entries – 2007
- First prize in each category, to be selected by a panel of judges, is $1,000 plus publication in a future issue of U of T Magazine. Runners-up and “Readers’ Choice” winners in each category will receive University of Toronto swag, plus publication on the U of T Magazine website.
- Entrants agree to be bound by the contest rules. Judges’ decisions are final.
- Winners agree to have their entries published in a future issue of U of T Magazine and on the magazine’s website. They will be contacted by telephone.
- Entries must arrive at U of T Magazine‘s offices by no later than 5 pm on June 2, 2017.
- To enter by email: Send entries as a Word document attached to your email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are entering more than one category, please send your entry for each category in a SEPARATE email. Use the subject line “Short Story Contest” or “Poetry Contest.” Entrant’s name must not appear in the manuscript document itself. All entries must be accompanied by a separate cover document with entrant’s full name, address, postal code, telephone number, e-mail address, submission title(s) and category.
- To enter by mail: Mail entries to: Alumni Short Story and Poetry Contest, c/o U of T Magazine, 21 King’s College Circle, Toronto, ON M5S 3J3. Entrant’s name must not appear on the manuscript itself. All entries must be typed and accompanied by a separate cover sheet with entrant’s full name, address, postal code, telephone number, e-mail address, submission title(s) and category. Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Employees of University of Toronto Communications are not eligible to enter this contest.