1885 – The first five women graduate from U of T, including Margaret and Catherine Brown (daughters of The Globe newspaper founder, George Brown), who both earned BAs in modern languages.
1906 – The university’s first female associate professors are named within the School of Household Science: Principal Annie Laird and chemist Clara Benson. Both were named the first female full professors in 1920.
1921 – The U of T Varsity Blues women’s hockey team hits the ice for the first time. The following year, they win the first women’s intercollegiate hockey championship.
1970s – Thanks to student activists, U of T’s first on-site child-care facility, Campus Community Co-op Daycare Centre, is created.
1971 – Two women’s studies courses are established, leading to the launch of a women’s studies program in 1974.
1972 – Women are admitted to Hart House, a male-only facility since its opening in 1919. (This is followed by Massey College’s admission of women in 1974.)
1973 – Jill Ker Conway is named vice-president at the university – making her the first woman in an academic leadership position at U of T.
1984 – The Status of Women Office, which works toward full gender equity at U of T for students, staff and faculty, is established.
2005 – Dr. Catharine Whiteside is appointed the first female dean of medicine at U of T. The following year, Prof. Mayo Moran is named the first female dean of law and Prof. Cristina Amon the first female dean of applied science and engineering.
**Please click on image below to launch a slideshow of noted women from U of T’s history