Claude Bissell’s final term as U of T president ended almost 40 years ago, but his remarkable contribution as a scholar, administrator and leader is recognized on the St. George Campus today, with buildings, portraits and other tributes honouring Bissell’s legacy
Claude T. Bissell Building
The Claude T. Bissell Building houses U of T’s Faculty of Information. The university named this building after Bissell to honour his contributions to U of T as a student, scholar and leader.
Outside Robarts Library
A bench dedicated to Bissell acknowledges his work toward establishing Robarts Library and the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library. Both opened in 1973. The Thomas Fisher Library houses the Bissell collection of British authors.
Fred Savard’s portrait of Bissell hangs in the foyer of the St. Catherine’s Chapel at Massey College along with portraits of Robertson Davies and Vincent Massey. Bissell worked closely with Massey as plans for the college evolved, and appointed Robertson Davies the college’s first master.
Claude and Christine Bissell’s names are engraved on a stone in the Hart House courtyard. Celebratory events for Bissell’s 1958 installation as president took place here, and in 1971 the university held a farewell reception for the Bissells in the Great Hall.