Leading Edge / Summer 2002
The Gay Voice

Some men may subconsciously adopt certain female speech patterns

Why do some gay men “sound” gay? After three years of research, linguistics professors Henry Rogers and Ron Smyth may be on the verge of answering that question. After identifying phonetic characteristics that seem to make a man’s voice sound gay, their best hunch is that some gay men may subconsciously adopt certain female speech patterns. They want to know how men acquire this manner of speaking, and why – especially when society so often stigmatizes those with gay-sounding voices. Rogers and Smyth are also exploring the stereotypes that gay men sound effeminate and are recognized by the way they speak. They asked people to listen to recordings of 25 men, 17 of them gay. In 62 per cent of the cases the listeners identified the sexual orientation of the speakers correctly. Perhaps fewer than half of gay men sound gay, says Rogers. “The straightest-sounding voice in the study was in fact a gay man, and the sixth gayest-sounding voice was a straight man.”

Reader Comments

# 1
Posted by stephen on September 19th, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

In my high school there was a kid who “sounded gay” who would swear he wasn’t. But he eventually did actually “come out” as gay. So, it must be a fully subconscious sort of thing.

# 2
Posted by KaOssis on April 20th, 2013 @ 12:59 pm

I believe that gay men use a female persona to be campy. It’s a form of acting a part in a movie or a play, except that the audience is anyone within earshot!

# 3
Posted by Burt BA%201972 on March 9th, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

I’m gay and forgive me but….I believe that most gay men speak with that “affectation” because, perhaps as a defense, they feel the need to sound pretentious and/or “fabulous.” It is not just the pitch of the voice, but it’s the valley-girl-mixed-with-British pronunciation that, in my opinion allows them to feel better about themselves. The fact that most pronounce a mono-syllabic word using two-to-three syllables (the word “no” becomes “nuuuooow”) indicates to me a sense of pretentiousness and fabulousness, which perhaps they want to believe about themselves. Listen to the affectation of gay male clothing designers….they almost speak in another language altogether. Christian Siriano was born, I believe, in Baltimore and I am certain that his “affectation” has nothing to do with the Baltimore dialect.

# 4
Posted by Ness on December 25th, 2015 @ 11:40 pm

This article seems to be addressing a stereotype issue rather than looking at why this is a topic at all.

# 5
Posted by kelly on March 10th, 2016 @ 10:28 pm

I have always thought that gay men tend to speak far more quickly than straight men do. Of the gay friends I have/have had/I have met, they always tend to speak very quickly, compared with straight.

# 6
Posted by Randalin Masters%202012 on June 14th, 2016 @ 3:25 pm

I wonder if it was a genetic attribute. For example, some male singers who have higher ranges and more ‘feminine’ sounding voices cannot be differentiated from a female; the majority have been gay. This could further back studies that argue sexuality is a genetic attribute.

# 7
Posted by Sally Jones on June 4th, 2017 @ 9:32 am

I have a family member who is gay. We are close in age and I’ve always known he was gay. He’s always had “the voice” – even as a small child. It wasn’t a learned thing with him, he literally sprang from the womb knowing who and what he was, just not how to articulate it. But the voice he eventually articulated it in? That had always been there.

# 8
Posted by #8 on July 16th, 2017 @ 11:06 pm

I’ve always been self conscious about my voice. My parents were extremely homophobic growing up, especially my mother, so trying to hide my gayness, including my voice was always a real struggle. I was terrified of my mother finding out, so I talked in a much more “normal’ boy voice around my family. However, I was much more comfortable in my effeminate voice and ways around my friends. Now as an adult, It’s hard to break that habit. I wish I could sound completely gay/effiminate because it prevents unwanted attention from girls. Having an effiminate voice usually prevents me from having to come out to every single person I meet, which gets annoying.

# 9
Posted by Jenny on July 20th, 2017 @ 9:45 pm

Regarding the idea that men who sing in a higher range are gay, I’m a professional singer and by far most of the countertenors I’ve met are straight. And most of my friends/colleagues who sing bass are gay. So much for that. As to the person above who said it was something he’s had to hide since childhood – I find that really enlightening as I had often thought it was merely affected. Thank you for correcting that assumption for me.

# 10
Posted by Bill Mello on September 25th, 2017 @ 3:28 pm

I believe some men actually are born with the so-called gay-sounding voice. I knew two boys as a child who had the stereotypical lisp sound and eventually came out later in life.

# 11
Posted by Matthew on October 12th, 2017 @ 1:30 pm

I have always had a feminine voice but never realized it myself until I would see videos or hear vocal recordings of myself. I tried to hide it to no avail and ended up coming out to family and everyone else when I was 20.

# 12
Posted by Josie Geo on December 17th, 2017 @ 6:21 pm

I work with a man who is married and raising his wife’s sons. Not just his voice, but very much about him (body language, his walk) makes him appear to be gay. He’s a serious Baptist and I pity him for what seems to be a very clear denial of the person he is.

# 13
Posted by Lawrence on February 3rd, 2018 @ 8:30 pm

I have two voices. The gay voice happens when I live in my normal state of anxiety. The other, which happens to be deeper by a shade, occurs when I am feeling more healthy and confident, and secure in my self-in-the-world. It doesn’t happen often. When it does, people tell me I seem a completely different person. And that’s how I feel. I feel like me. Authentic, from the toes up. I don’t really care how I sound, but I do crave the feeling of authenticity that characterizes voice #2.

# 14
Posted by MARK DEMOS on May 16th, 2018 @ 5:45 pm

I’ve always wondered if it’s a sonic ‘device’ used (consciously or unconsciously) as a (relatively) subtle clue to potential mates, alerting them to the fact that the person is gay….

# 15
Posted by Aaron Clark on June 1st, 2018 @ 9:05 pm

The gay voice is not a learned behavior. It has a biological basis, just as homosexual attraction does.

You can identify the sex of many animals by their vocalizations. These sex-determined vocalizations are not learned behaviors – they are inborn. The male/female animal didn’t learn it from its father/mother. Likewise, we humans know masculine or feminine vocalizations when we hear them. The human embryo has the capacity to develop either male or female behaviors. The extent to which we develop either is determined by the interplay of hormones in utero. Generally XY babies develop masculine behaviors, and YY babies develop feminine behaviors, but sometimes the nerve pathways associated with the other sex’s behaviors get developed. This leads to traits like homosexuality.

Many gay men “vocalize” like women. I am one of those. From an early age, it identified me as gay. I didn’t learn it from anyone, it was inherent. Another evidence of this is that some women with very low-pitched voices may sound like gay men. This behavior trait appears on a continuum, so some men who are straight may have a feminine vocalization, while many men who are gay did not have their vocalizations “feminized” so-to-speak. Having grown up in the homo-hysterical 80s, I hate to admit that I think that those whose voices “pass” for straight are the lucky ones.

# 16
Posted by Jennifer Sinclair MEd%202015 on July 10th, 2018 @ 7:23 pm

I will tell you that I am a heterosexual woman and when I listen to a man and watch a man and believe he is most likely gay, he automatically is more highly valued to me than heterosexual men. Why? I have no idea why! Gay men seem so much more easily relatable than heterosexual men. I love gay men! Most hetero women do.

# 17
Posted by Kyla Bailey on July 13th, 2018 @ 7:47 pm

I really wonder if it’s genetic, to be honest. I was a gay guy until I was 20, at which point I transitioned to female. Even growing up in an extremely Christian family, where I tried to hide who I was, I still got questions all the time about my sexuality. The sing-song voice has been with me before I even found the gay community, which is why I honestly would go through spurts of not talking altogether. Now, I definitely embrace the female voice.