Have you ever wondered where the name of one of U of T’s most beloved campus hangouts came from?
In 1925, financier Edward Rogers Wood and Agnes Euphemia Smart Wood – a Victoria Women’s Association member – donated their stately home, Wymilwood, to Victoria University as a residence and social centre for women. The unusual moniker was derived from the names of the Wood children: “Wy” for William, who died in infancy, and “Mil” for their daughter, Mildred.
The original Wymilwood house, located directly west of Emmanuel College at 84 Queen’s Park, served as a space for women students of Vic until 1952 – it is now known as Falconer Hall. The Wymilwood building on the east side of Queen’s Park, in the heart of Victoria University, will reopen, expanded and renovated, as the Goldring Student Centre in 2013.
Fighting for Justice
In her latest documentary, filmmaker Nisha Pahuja tackles a most difficult topic – sexual assault
Rogers Foundation Gives $90 Million to Usher in New Era in Cardiac Care
Gift will enable the Ted Rogers Centre for Heart Research to expand its research into heart failure – and save lives
Solving a Climate Puzzle, One Tree Ring at a Time
A natural archive reveals how Canada’s arctic climate has changed over the past 1,000 years